This started out as top 5 must-eats in Delhi. But you can't do a top 5 for the city; it's just impossible to pick that few from the city's gems. Instead, this is a definitive list of foods I miss when I am not in Delhi:
1. Chinese at Bercos. And the best fruit beer ever.
2. Marshmallows at Wengers. Peppermints at Wengers. Puddings (and everything else) at Wengers - they are simply the best bakery in the world.
3. Pyaaz Kachori from Ghantewala at Chandni Chowk.
4. Milk Shakes from Keventor's. Remember those milk bottles before they started putting milk in plastic bags. That's what Keventor's milk shakes come in. And it's just round the corner from Wenger's so you go - Chinese at Bercos, dessert at Wenger's and Butterscotch milkshake at Keventor's. Need a huge apetite for it though.
5. Wimpy's Paneer Burger. Move over McDonalds, for it's such a poor match for burgers and fries from Delhi's very own Wimpy's.
6. Bukhara, the only Indian restaurant to make it to top 100 restaurants in the world. For many years running. ITC's restaurants in Bombay don't even come close.
7. Mexican food at Rodeo.
8. Chaat Buffet in vintage cars at Chor Bizarre.
9. Hot chocolate fudge at Nirula's
And dal makhani, paneer butter masala and naan at just about any corner restaurant. Punjabi By Nature is my favorite, but they are all good.