Is it really two years that Srivalli has been running her innovative microwave cooking event. She's prompted me to try my microwave for more than just heating several times. Just like last year, Srivalli celebrates the event anniversary with a potluck party. I took a dessert to the party last time around, but this time I was rooting for something healthier. I turned to last year's roundup, and there was this spinach rice. Valli, hope you don't mind getting the same dish on the menu again.
To make spinach rice, wash and soak 1/2 cup rice. In a microwave safe dish, heat a tsp of ghee for 30 seconds. Add 5-6 peppercorns and heat for another 10 seconds. Now add a small onion, chopped finely and microwave for another 30 seconds. Add a cup of finely chopped spinach, 1/2 a tsp of garam masala and another 1/2 tsp of salt. Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts. Add rice to the bowl, and a cup of water then pop it back in the microwave for 5 minutes. Bring it out and check how far you are from the rice getting cooked (the amount of water left in the rice is a good guide). I had to cook the rice for another 5 minutes and let it rest for another 5 to finish cooking in the steam.
And now for some award time. Faiza Ali and Mrignayani, two new found friends, have passed on the Scrumptious Blog award to me:
Thanks a lot, both of you. It feels great to know you enjoy the blog.
In turn, I would like to pass on the award to seven other scrumptious blogs:
- Alka, the Sindhi foodie, who's taking a blog break but continues to show up with some yummy words of wisdom at Beyond Curries.
- Aqua, whose many easy recipes I've tried and loved.
- Jaya, the multifaceted cook, potter and booklover.
- Prathibha, cooking to glory in my own city of Mumbai.
- Priya for her easy, tasty and healthy recipes.
- Rush, the Ex-Bombayiite with a passion for life. I love her thoughts, her rants, her experiences.
- Siri, whose lovely blog just completed a scrumptious two years.
loved ur spinach rice...excellent for potluck, quick easy and can be made as guests drop in oneby one...definitely trying this at one of the potlucks!!!!
Thanks for the award lady...im glad someone thinks mah blog is scrumptious...cratches head..will have to post some recipes now?
and thank you for da award!!